Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Timing of IIIvs cycle  (Read 99 times)

afs100

• View Profile
Timing of IIIvs cycle
« on: September 13, 2017, 03:17:28 AM »
Hi Rob,
I will take part in a judo tournament in a couple of  months .
Normally I don't do any weights the last 5 days prior.
Would you aim to finish the cycle at week 5 or week 6 ?
I understand week 6 is the new benchmark week to determine the 1 RM maxes.
If aiming for hypercompensation with a subsequent peak - would a week 5 or week 6 finish make more sense? ( I won't need to make any weight and the whole sports specific training and extra cardio is geared towards a taper).
Thanks

Robert Frederick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Timing of IIIvs cycle
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 06:35:08 AM »
You can do the first 5 weeks and time it so that your tournament replaces the sixth week of the cycle. You switch from bilateral work to unilateral work for the deload in week 5. So although it's not specifically optimized for judo it should work fairly well.

afs100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 06:22:28 PM »
Thanks for the answer.
I am only talking about a masters tournament for a some "has beens " like myself.
I  disagree with regards to the lack of  optimization for judo - yes, I do some extra cardio of course but from the weight training part , I think it's pretty close to optimal. Maybe some more olympic lifts and grip work which I add  to the program.
However, I have seen a lot of so called "judo-specific" weight training program whichs  seem to double up on fitness aspects, which you should really develop on the mat - and as a consequence increase the injury risk and fatigue. I stick to the basics in the gym and do whatever explosive and rotational stuff I need on the mat. It would have been different when I was younger but now, I am much more interested in health and fitness and take those masters tournaments more as a daily motivation to watch my weight and train hard. I learned that with all those injuries, which you as a Muay Thai fighter would be more than familiar with

Robert Frederick

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 07:35:42 AM »
I find that in both weight training and Muay Thai it's the beginners that get the most injuries. That makes a bit of logical sense to me in hindsight. There's a mismatch between ambition and the necessary skills and things go wrong as one attempts to bridge the gap.

What do you do for grip?

afs100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 08:28:32 AM »
Grip - Farmer's walk and battle rope in tge gym.
I find that deadlifts and weighted pull ups are great for building up strength,
but the farmer's walk is helpful for the sustained demand on the grip over time.